A new home, a new part of the country to familiarise yourself with, new friends to make and new work to focus on. Change is something that we are all very familiar with as we are part of a world where we have to move on every few years. We often leave good friends and colleagues behind and places that we have loved, but doing it regularly doesn’t make it any easier to accept it!
With everything that is going on in the world right now uncertainty, therefore change, has now become a normal part of life for everyone. We have had to change the way we go about our daily lives, our jobs, even the way we socialise. For many their whole way of being has been turned on its head. At the beginning we all went in to survival mode- just doing what we were told and what we needed to do to get through. Now there are more choices to make and a change back to a ‘new normal’, with choices to make that can be very scary when we have been living in a bubble for the last 3 months.
Change is hard and can be scary, but we should not be so fearful of it. Why is it scary? Because it is unknown. Humans naturally crave comfort, thrive on routine and only think to change when something is not right.
Change is part of life, it is inevitable and one thing we can’t control. By accepting it in a way that is beneficial to me is now the only way that I can deal with it in a positive way. Part of my process is too stop the ‘blame game’, the mind trap we can fall into, it is no-ones fault it is just the way it is. People move on, loved ones pass and every year the leaves fall off the trees. When change occurs it is easy to blame ourselves or others for the way we are feeling but that doesn’t help our stress and anxiety levels.
Change is a natural part of life
In order to accept change and not be afraid of it, we have to be comfortable with the unknown. We don’t always know the outcome of certain things, and when a change initially occurs, it can feel like we are losing something—a friend or a job. But you don’t know what will happen in the future.
What feels like a loss now could end up being a win later.
Life is constantly moving forward, often I will look back and think, “Thank goodness I made that change, it was so hard at the time, but it was necessary to lead me to the better, more positive place I am today.”
Let’s all embrace the change for a better future
My 5 steps to accepting change...
- Embrace your feelings about change. Whatever type of change is unsettling you, embrace that feeling. If you embrace your feelings, it will be a lot easier to accept and move on.
- Understand that change is an inevitable part of life. It is necessary for old things to go and new things to come. Simple as that!
- Try to put change in perspective. Try to reframe the situation, are the worry’s and concerns you have about the impending change realistic or accurate?
- See the positives. Use this as an opportunity to turn a loss or negative change into an opportunity or a way to improve your life
- Why does the change unsettles you so much. It’s hard to accept change, if you’re unclear about why it makes you so uncomfortable or unsettled. Think about when change has happened in the past and how this made you feel then. Understanding where these habits have come from helps us to understand why we fear them.
Finally some self-care tips- It is important to manage managing the stress and anxiety that change brings.
- Talk about it with those close to you.
- Set some goals and address the challenges that it brings.
- Take up mindfulness or other relaxing exercise.
- Keep busy too!