“You knew what you were getting into right?”
I always hate getting asked this question because in a way I did know what being a military wife was like. It is the overall feeling that life is a like a revolving door!
I have been involved in military life for 25 years and as a wife of a serving member of the armed forces I know exactly what this brings with it. The frequent moves, the constant change, the saying goodbye and the disruption to our family – including the whole education issue! And there is also the constant uncertainty – as well as the worry and getting through a deployment. I know that being in the military life can be really tough.
These are just some of my observations on being a military wife that I hope you can resonate with…
- When Someone asks you for your address history, you will nearly pass out.
- Acronyms and abbreviations will become your second language.
- Some postings will feel like the worst place EVER, until you meet your new best friend and then two months later your posted again!
- You will travel huge distances to see your friends and family.
- You make plans only for them to change again and again.
- Something will always break when your partner is away.
- The number of long-distance friendships you maintain will far exceed the number of friends living in your current location.
- Amazing friendships doesn’t even begin to describe the relationships you will form with other spouses.
- You will spend most of your time as a military spouse unemployed or underemployed.
- And don’t get me started on the quarters!…
BUT through this resilience, strength and courage will become the core of who you are as a person.
Understanding the military way of life, the lifestyle and the terminology has helped me to work along side many military spouses, serving members and their children. Seeing a counsellor that is part of this unique community will help as you don’t have to explain this “way of life” as I “just get it”
If you think that I can help you, please get in touch. contact